Naukasana or Navasana, widely known as Boat Pose, is an excellent pose to strengthen the core. The Sanskrit name Naukasana is derived from two words, the first Nauka meaning boat and the second Asana meaning posture. In this asana, the whole body seems to have the shape of a boat and is fully balanced on the buttocks. It gives intense stretch to the abdomen and strengthens the back and abdominal muscles. Naukasana has several other advantages, but first, let’s start by knowing the steps to take to practice Naukasana.
Steps to practice Naukasana (Boat Pose)
To avoid the formation of any type of injury and to obtain maximum benefits; it is very important to know the proper alignment of the body in an asana. Here are the steps to practice Naukasana correctly:
- Lie on your back, keeping your legs together and your arms around your body.
- Breathe deeply and hold it while lifting the head, shoulders, arms, trunk and legs simultaneously from the ground.
- Keep your arms aligned with the toes and at the same level. Keep your arms straight with the palms of your hands. Look to the toes.
- Stay steady while holding your breath for at least 5 seconds, if possible.
- Return to the floor slowly while exhaling.
- Relax the whole body and take 3 to 5 long, deep breaths.
Practice 3 times. It is advisable to relax in Shavasana (Corpse Pose) after practicing the boat pose, as this helps to relax the abdominal muscles.
Precautions for Naukasana (Boat Pose)
Naukasana’s precautions for safer practice are as follows:
- Avoid forcing the body beyond the limits as this could cause pain or back injury.
- Avoid practicing this asana during menstruation or at least the first two days of the menstrual cycle each month.
- People suffering from this disease should avoid this asana: hypertension or hypotension, ulcer, joint pain, migraine, insomnia, heart disease, asthma or spinal disorders.
Benefits of Naukasana (Boat Pose)
The health benefits of Naukasana that one would experience gradually with regular practice are as follows:
- Stimulates the functioning of the digestive system.
- The correction of nervous disorders thus improves the functioning of the nervous system.
- Useful for toning all organs and eliminating lethargy.
- Improves the structure of the whole body, so effective to heal the movement of the navel
- Maintains the sugar level in the body, so good for diabetes.
- Improves the state of hormonal imbalance in the body.
- Improve blood circulation in the body.
- Improves the functioning of the liver, lungs, kidneys and pancreas.
- Eliminates stress, tension and anxiety, provides deep relaxation and restores freshness.
- Beneficial for people with hernias, but they must first consult their doctor.
Stay healthy, stay strong and get the best out of life.