Vajrasana (Diamond pose/Thunderbolt Pose) is both an asana yoga of relaxation and meditation with calming effects on the mind and body. This is an excellent pose for beginners in yoga because it is quite easy compared to other meditative poses.
The Sanskrit name Vajrasana is derived from two words. Vajra means lightning or diamond and Asana means posture. According to Hindu mythology, Vajra is the name of the weapon of Lord Indra (god of heaven) who was as hard as a diamond. For this reason, it is also known as Diamond Pose.
One of the main nerves of the human body is also called Vajra Nadi (Nadi means nerve). Vajra nadi is linked to the genitourinary system, responsible for the regulation of sexual energy in the human body. Therefore, practicing this yoga pose for an extended period of time can lead a person to control his sexual energy for spiritual purposes.
You will be surprised to know that you can practice this yoga posture right after the meal. Yes! This is the only yoga pose you can practice right after lunch or dinner. This really speeds up the digestion process. It is also very useful for getting rid of constipation or any other problem related to the stomach.
Steps to Practice Vajrasana (Diamond pose/Thunderbolt Pose)
- Set your knees on your yoga mat by keeping your knees tight.
- The big toes must touch while the heel remains separated.
- Lower the body by placing your buttocks in the space between your two feet.
- The heels must touch the hips.
- Place the palm of your hands on the thighs (or knees).
- Keep the spine and head straight and relaxed.
- Pay attention to your spine arching excessively backwards.
- Close your eyes and relax the whole body by breathing normally.
- Be aware of every breath coming in and out of the body.
Stay in pose for at least a minute. Vajrasana is more beneficial when followed by some breathing exercises.
Precautions for Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose)
Avoid Vajrasana if you have any of these conditions: recent knee injury or severe knee pain, ankle pain or joint pain.
Benefits of Vajrasana (Diamond pose/Thunderbolt Pose)
- Strengthens the pelvic muscles by modifying the blood flow in the pelvic area.
- Improves digestion and fights constipation, indigestion and acidity.
- Stimulates the spinal nerves; Corrects the rounded back and drooping shoulders.
- Regulates the functioning of the reproductive organs and the thyroid gland.
- Beneficial for people with sciatica.
- Useful for healing menstrual disorders.
- Useful for achieving spiritual gains and peace of mind.
- Regular practice of Vajrasana rejuvenates the whole body.
- Relieves piles and stomach disorders such as peptic ulcer, hyper acidity.
Stay healthy, stay strong and get the best out of life.