Knowing being unable to become a mother is heartbreaking. Nothing could be more devastating for a woman willing to have children. But unfortunately, the number of such females have been increasing drastically in the last few years. Seeking the cure, people reach out to medical experts who put them on a long-term prescriptions course. But medications have not proven to be very effective in treating infertility. The process is long, exhausting and financially stressful. Not seeing positive results makes women gradually lose their hope of having a child. They begin to live an unhappy life in constant stress worsening their health even more.
Fortunately, many women have successfully conceived after practicing yoga with discipline. Diet is another major factor that will turn your infertility into fertility. Practicing yoga poses combined with a healthy diet can potentially help you to achieve a healthy reproductive system. Yoga is a natural, reliable and affordable way to gain fertility leading you on the path to becoming a mother. But before you know about yoga practices to boost fertility. Let’s better understand infertility and its causes.
What is infertility?
Infertility is an inability to conceive after a year or more of unprotected sex. Various underlying health issues in either male or female and sometimes in both results in infertility. In India, one out of every 10 couple struggle with lifelong infertility. A study conducted in 2015 by Ernst and Young reported that 27.5 million Indian couples are fighting against infertility. Female factor contributes to 40-50 % of the cases whereas male factor is also on a hike by 30-40%. Infertility has become a worldwide issue and needs more attention than ever before. Let’s progress towards the causes of infertility in females.
Root causes of infertility in females
The ovaries, fallopian tubes and uterus must be functioning for women to conceive. Any factors affecting these organs leads to infertility. Given below are the main causes of infertility in females.
A. Improper Ovarian Function (Affecting the release of eggs from the ovaries)
i. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): A condition where ovulation may be irregular or absent.
ii. Diminished Ovarian Reserve: A condition where there is less number of eggs in ovaries. The women may conceive naturally but with fewer eggs.
iii. Hormonal Disorders: Improper functioning of pituitary gland and hypothalamus leads to high production of prolactin causing a woman not to ovulate.
iv. Premature Ovarian Insufficiency: Occurrence of menopause before the age of 40.
B. Uterine or cervical abnormalities: Any abnormalities with the opening of the cervix, polyps in the uterus and benign tumors in the uterine lead to infertility.
C. Blockage of fallopian tubes: Inflammation of the fallopian tubes causing blockage in the path of in which an egg travel each month.
D. Endometriosis: Growth of endometrial tissue outside the uterus affecting the functioning of the ovary and fallopian tubes.
Risk factors developing infertility
Age: Women’s fertility gradually decreases in her mid 30’s and drops after the age of 37.
Sedentary lifestyle and poor diet: Remaining physically inactive and consuming unhealthy food.
Obesity: Increases the chances of infertility.
Unhealthy addictions: Smoking and alcohol lead to miscarriage in women.
Environmental issues: Exposure to toxins like cadmium, Mercury, lead and pesticide.
Consumption of certain medication: Such as flutamide, cyproterone, bicalutamide etc.
Stress: Stress interferes with the menstrual cycle in females delaying ovulation.
Yoga to boost fertility in females
Yoga focuses on ovulation, conception and pregnancy. The following asanas help to battle infertility enhancing chances to conceive. The following poses boost the functioning of the reproductive organs. In recent studies, the forward bending asanas were useful in association with abdomen and pelvic area. In this part of the spine subsides Swadhisthana Chakra. It controls the energy flow from a lower vessel of the lumbar spine and ‘sexual organs’. This is what yoga does to an unhealthy reproductive system.
1. Stimulates reproductive system: Certain poses brings extra blood flow to the lower abdominal area. Therefore, stimulating ovaries and uterus.
2. Increase blood flow to the Reproductive Organs: More supply of nutrients and oxygen is necessary for maintaining healthy reproductive organs. The constricted blood vessels are relieved making an easy flow of blood to the pelvic area.
3. Regulates Endocrine System: Endocrine system releases various hormones from various glands to the for the body to keep functioning properly. These hormones are important in maintaining body’s homeostasis.
4. Reduces Stress: Stress is endemic in the world. Meditation and pranayama lower adrenaline and cortical hormones which are known as the stress hormone. Hence reducing stress, making more chances of conceiving.
9 Yoga Poses to boost fertility in females
The following poses concentrate on lower abdomen and pelvis. Concentrating on physical flexibility coordination and strength.
1. Paschimottanasana (Intense Back Stretch): Stimulates the entire reproductive system.
2. Ustrasana (Camel Pose): Improves the functioning of the reproductive system in both male and female.
3. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose): Makes uterus and ovaries healthy. Helpful for women having irregular menstruation.
4. Kandharasana (Bridge Pose): Strengthens the female reproductive system. Beneficial for those who have the chances of miscarriage.
5. Butterfly Pose (Titli Asana): Supplies more blood to the pelvic, abdominal and back area.
6. Halasana (Plow Pose): Rejuvenates thyroid gland which plays a major role in controlling the menstrual cycle.
7. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose): Tones reproductive organs improving their functioning.
8. Janu Sirsasana (Head on knee pose): Vitalizes the adrenal glands and relaxes the thyroid gland. Also relaxes and releases tension from the lower back.
9. Shashankasana (Child’s Pose): Calms the brain and reduces stress and fatigue. Hence useful in increasing fertility.
All the above poses will help you boost your fertility creating chances for you to get pregnant sooner or later. Be patient and ensure you maintain a very healthy diet as it plays an important role too. Above all, keep a positive and healthy attitude.